Monday, June 4, 2012

Beekeeper For A Day

Visiting Dad and Amanda is always an adventure. This morning, I got to tag along with them as they made their weekly rounds to their beehives. I was charged with being the photographer, something I heartily enjoyed. So I suited up, made sure my veil was snugly in place, and shot to my heart's content. I felt like the paparazzi, capturing any juicy or slightly interesting moments. I even got to see the queen (of one hive, anyway). Dad and Amanda explained to me what they were doing - checking the brood pattern of the queens; making sure there were no super cells; sugar dusting to inhibit mites; and generally inspecting the health of the hives. They have several hives on three different fields; two fields grow raspberries and the third has some beautiful blueberry bushes. I was able to touch a bee and not get stung, and I had the opportunity to sample honey straight from the comb! Here is a selection of some of the pictures I took.










































No comments:

Post a Comment